Problem Solving with Data Analytics
Data has the potential to provide a lot of value to organisations. With data analytics, you can access valuable insights and make informed decisions to improve your organisation’s performance and processes. In recent years, the importance of data analytics in the business world has increased, making it critical for organisations and employees to upskill with data analytics capabilities.
However, despite its popularity, many organisations still find it challenging to get data analytics off the ground and on the right track. This is mainly due to a combination of technical and cultural factors. While many organisations hire specialists and consultant to jump-start their analytics journey or work in specific analytics projects, the potential of data analytics can only be sustained if the organisation is able to build data analytics capabilities and culture throughout the organisation.
This 2-day data analytics course is designed specifically for professionals with no knowledge of data analytics. Using Microsoft Excel, you will be participating in hands-on exercises and gain practical business analytics skills. By the end of the course, you will be able to confidently incorporate data analytics into your organisation.
Be A Certified Data Analyst
- Gain an overview of the data analytics landscape and the different approaches to data analytics
- Explore case studies on successful data analytics
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the data analytics value chain and its components
- Understand the principles to building a sustainable analytics culture in an organisation
- Learn how to build an analysis framework using the 6-Step Framework for data analytics
- Gain practical data analytics skills through descriptive analytics and predictive analytics exercises using Microsoft Excel
- Learn the principles of data visualisation and storytelling
This course is for professionals and individuals with an interest to learn and improve their understanding and skills in data analytics, particularly in applying analytics to problem-solving. This course is suitable for beginner-level participants across all industries and job functions.
Participants are required to bring a laptop with:
- Internet/wifi connectivity
- Microsoft Excel (version 2010 or later)
Module 1: Understanding Data Analytics, Big Data & Artificial Intelligence
- General introduction to the concept of analytics, including the general utilities and potential of analytics to inform, explain and guide decision making
- Introduction to Big Data and Artificial Intelligence
- Case studies on notable organisations who have successfully deployed analytics to great effect (Walmart, Target, Google, Jetblue)
Module 2: Practicing and Sustaining Data Analytics at Work
- Data analytics value chain & components
- What it takes to progress along the maturity curve
- Recipe for successful data analytics
- Case study on how analytics changed the game for Oakland Athletics in professional baseball
- Building analytics culture
- Leadership for analytics
- Data Analytics Competency Framework
- Organisation design
- Data analytics maturity model
- Class survey
- Group exercise: fill in the success recipe book
Module 3: Translating Data into Insights
- Understand your problems
- Complexity theory and Cynefin Framework
- Group exercise: making sense of your problems
- Building an Analysis Framework
- 6-Step Framework from problem to data, insights, and decision
- Group exercise: building an Analysis Framework
- Analytics techniques to connect-the-dots
Module 4: Statistical Analysis Concepts for Business Users
- Common analysis techniques, including Trends Analysis, Regression Analysis, Survival Analysis etc.
- Class exercise using MS Excel analysis (pivot table, descriptive, correlation, multiple regression)
- Data visualisation and storytelling
- Principles of storytelling with data
- Data visualisation tools & techniques
- Demo of visualisation platforms
- Class exercise: build your own dashboard (MS Excel)
Module 5: Bringing all together: Capstone Business Case Exercise
- Work on a capstone business case exercise with the concepts and techniques covered in the course
- The final presentation, which should include the following: problem statement, a summary of findings (each supported by facts & analysis) and recommendations
- Group presentation & discussion
Data Analytics Master Trainer: Michael Lee
Michael Lee is the Principal Consultant and Trainer at FYT Consulting, where he helps businesses grow and succeed by building their data analytics capabilities. An IT professional by training, he brings with him more than 25 years of consulting and practical experience across various functions such as sales, client management, business operations, and customer service.
Prior to joining FYT, Michael led the Asia Pacific Sales Operations and the Business Operations for Customer Service at Cisco. He has also conducted numerous training programs on data analytics, data visualisation, data storytelling, and virtual team management for local and international enterprises. In addition, he was invited to speaking engagements in partner events, as well as in major international sales conferences.
Michael holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics and an MBA from the National University of Singapore.
Data Analytics Expert: Joanna Tan
An accomplished Senior HR Business Partner with more than 25 years of diverse industry experience, Joanna has worked with reputable multinational and local corporations such as Sage Software, Hasbro, Apple, IBM, Rockwell Automation, and Wing Tai Holdings. She has a strong background in talent development and management, leadership development, organisational design, strategic change management as well as employee relations and engagement.
Joanna is currently an Associate Consultant and Trainer with FYT Consulting. She helps FYT clients build HR analytics capabilities and has worked with clients from various backgrounds such as technology, government, pharmaceutical, finance, and more.
Joanna holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the National University of Singapore and a Graduate Diploma in Business Administration from the Singapore Institute of Management. She is also an Advanced Certificate in Training and Assessment (ACTA) Certified Trainer and has delivered numerous training programs in topics relating to personal and team development as well as management, data analytics, and leadership skills development.
“Michael is very clear in his explanation and guides us very well. His materials are interesting and he uses real-life problems to bring the context in.”
– Leong Mok Kam, Rosyth School
“Joanne is knowledgable and able to answer any queries throughout the session and she is friendly and approachable. I would recommend this course to friends and colleagues as data mining is an important and relevant issue in any decision-making thing in companies nowadays.”
– Alain Tan Tong Shen, Singapore Police Force
“Mike is very experienced, and the entire course is very interactive. Mike also putting great effort to ensure the team is engaged. Recommended trainer as the entire course is not bored, useful material and there is video in between to refresh the mind.”
– Lo Siew Khim, Advanced Micro Devices
“Michael is very engaging and takes the effort to solicit responses from all participants. He also makes the effort to take note of each participant’s progress through the course to ensure that all can follow. This course is useful for ministry executives who are new to data analytics.”
– Esther Chan, Ministry of Social and Family Development
“Michael is very clear in his teaching and is very patient! This is the first IT-related course I have attended where I did not feel like the instructor was impatient with people who may be slower in their progress.”
– Nicole Hilary Teo, National Heritage Board
“Mr Michael Lee is very knowledgeable on the topic. The experience was beyond my expectation. I expected a lecture, but it was an interactive two-way approach with hands-on practice & exercises. There are many good takeaways from the session.”
– Nur Zalifa Andeera Binte Fadzillah, MyLustre Pte Ltd